Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'm back to work...

...after being gone for a few days to Council Bluffs, IA for the Heartland of America PPA Convention.

It was sooo interesting! I went to some classes-one on wedding shooting and one on the business side of being a photographer. Also one taught by fellow Dordt alumna Jen Hillinga of Momento Images in Minnesota. She is a Photoshop whiz and I learned lots of tricks and tips from her.

There were several highlights for me. One, I got to meet David Jay, a wedding photographer from California who started an online forum for photographers where they can ask questions, share ideas and learn from each other. It's great-I've learned so much there. David has a unique philosophy and business model that was interesting to hear all about in his seminar. A bunch of other photographers and I also got to join him for lunch after his class!


Three years ago when I was considering starting photography as a business, I contacted a photographer from Winterset, Iowa whose work I had seen online and loved-Lori Nordstrom-to ask her a few questions about how to get started in the business. She responded so kindly-sharing some great advice and recommendations. We emailed back and forth a couple of times and over the last few years I have often thought about how generous she was-taking time to help someone she doesn't even know! Well, I got to meet her at a PPI dessert reception on Monday evening!! It was great meeting her and being able to tell her in person how much I appreciated her kindness to me.

I also got to meet and interact with lots of photographers, which was lots of fun! Sometimes I think I am the only one in my crazy little photography world so it was great to feel somewhat normal! :-) I especially want to give a shout out to Samantha Bender who didn't mind me tagging along to the awards banquet with her and her husband Stephen!! Samantha just got voted Eastern Iowa's best photographer by a local news station! She and Steven are building a new studio soon-exciting times for them! Here is a photo Stephen took of Sam and me at the David Jay seminar...

1 comment:

Abby said...

Looks like fun Vanessa!
Love you!